Technical Assistance Facility (TAF): Workshop on Combatting Migrant Smuggling
In the framework of a regional (series of) workshops on Smuggling of Persons and Trafficking in Human Beings (THB) with a focus on the work of Western Balkan Task Forces, the first workshop on combatting Migrant Smuggling was held online on January 26th. The aim of the regional series is to improve joint operations and investigations. The event was devoted to the expert exchange on the topic smuggling of persons, involving key-note speakers from Europol, Eurojust, Focus group on migrant smuggling and representatives from other EU member states and MARRI.
With more than 40 participants who actively engaged during the event, the following topics were covered:
- Migrant Smuggling in Europe, with a special focus on the Western Balkans
- Money patterns in the migrant smuggling business model
- The economic and patrimonial method for combating the smuggling of human beings
- Application of diverse special evidentiary actions in relation to investigating migrant smuggling
- Discussion: The role of Police Liaison Officers
- Interpretation from rare/extra-regional languages – overcoming the lack of interpreters and Q&A
- Presentation of Eurojust’s work and support possibilities
- Investigating cross-border migrant smuggling cases
This series came into being at the initiative of the Serbian Republic Public Prosecutor’s Office. In addition to participants from the Task Forces of Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and North Macedonia, which are composed of representatives of relevant prosecutor’s offices and various law enforcement agencies, representatives from local authorities in charge of combating smuggling of persons also attended the online workshop.The next workshop is planned for May 2022, covering trafficking in human beings and the follow up on smuggling of persons.
The Technical Assistance Facility (TAF) is a flexible tool, enabling the project CSC WB to detect and react on specific needs from the beneficiaries – a response to joint proposals related to the fight against serious and organised crime and/or terrorism. Read more about how to apply for the TAF.
Photo Source: CSC WB